Bachelor of Commerce is one of the degrees which allow you to take a step further in your goals of dealing with the numbers.
Do you want to become a CA, or do you love dealing with the numbers? If the answer is yes, then the upcoming content is going to be helpful for you. It is one of the most popular and appreciated degree in India and multiple other countries.
Bachelor of Commerce
Bachelor of Commerce which is also termed as B.Com is an undergraduate degree in the field of commerce and related subject. Generally, this course is offered in countries like Canada, Australia, India, Ireland, New Zealand, Pakistan, Myanmar, South Africa, and multiple other countries. The United Kingdom does not offer B.Com in their country.
Common areas of study: –
Following are the fields which fall under the Commerce Subject
- Business Economics
- Actuarial Science
- Decision Analysis
- Human Resources
- Finance and Financial Market
- Information Management
- Logistics Management
- Operations Management
- Risk Management
What is a Bachelor of Commerce or B.Com?
Those students who are going for a B.Com degree get the exposure of a wide range of managerial skills, while also learning the strategy of building competence in a certain field of business. Students also get the exposure of general business principles, taking courses in business management, accounting, finance, human resources. Apart from these some program also requires business statistics and calculus, along with information systems. Though there are multiple other fields in B.Com, still most of the institutes prefer their students taking part in business-related subjects.
B.Com (Bachelor of Commerce) is an undergraduate degree which takes 3 years for completion. It requires a candidate to complete his or her Senior Secondary examination from a recognized board having Mathematics and English as the core subjects.
Following are three modes of doing B.Com in India
B.Com (Pass Course)
This course does not allow the students to have a particular specialization in any particular field. It just gives an overview of the commerce subjects to the students.
It allows a student to have a specialization in subjects like Accounting, Economics, etc. This course allows the students to understand the depth of the subjects.
This course focuses on skills development and job orientation. It allows students to specialize in skill-based subjects.
Specialization in B.Com
In the earlier time, B.Com was just a general course consisting of several subjects related to commerce. In the present scenario, along with the traditional B.Com degree, some new specialization programs are being offered all over India. Some of the specializations that are provided in multiple colleges in India are as follows.
Subjects of B.Com in Popular Specialization
- B.Com Honors: – This allows the students to build competent business acumen. It requires the students to study general subjects such as Organizational Behavior and Cost Accountancy. After this course, the students are free to specialize in any particular field of interest.
- B.Com Computer Applications: – Computer application is application software which allows the user to perform some required task. Generally, the students completing this course becomes a qualified and trained candidate for banking, insurance, stock markets, accounting, marketing, and e-commerce field. Apart from all these, these candidates are also eligible for teaching job sectors.
- B.Com Taxation: – This course allows the students to have a good amount of knowledge in the field of Taxation, Accounting, and Finance. It gives the students to have a better understanding of Leadership and Managerial role in the financial sector.
- B.Com Economics: – Generally, it is a course which requires 3 years. This course allows the students to deal with the obstacles and challenges they encounter in the organizations in the economy or the market place. Students of this course are eligible to solve and analyze the economical problem, allowing them to work for both the public and private sector.
- B.Com Management Studies: – The criteria for doing this course are that a student must have completed his or her Senior Secondary examination with a minimum of 65% from a recognized board. Multiple Indian colleges offer this course for the students. This course allows the students to deal with the solutions for multiple operational and managerial obstacles. Commercialization, Statistical research, Customer demands, Labor market, and Trade are the major topics which come under this course.
- B.Com E-Commerce: – This course gives a student complete knowledge about every single detail regarding online business. The candidate goes through multiple practices related to online businesses and also they get to know about the procedure involved in the management of the online business. Since it is related to the digital system, hence a good knowledge about the digital world is also provided to the students.
- B.Com Foreign Trade: – This course generally holds 3 years allowing the students to get advanced knowledge of business, economics, accounts, and management. It includes the study of accounting of expenditure, business, resource management, and management of trade flow.
- B.Com Banking Management: – This course prepares a student to deal with all the Banking activities and the financial activities held in the banking sector and to work efficiently in the Banking environment. Students also gain knowledge of multiple technologies used in the field of Banking.
- B.Com Accounting: – One of the undergraduate commerce courses is B.Com in Accounting. It allows the students to have a piece of good knowledge about developing analytical skills and also provides a solid foundation and qualification in every single aspect of the accounting.
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) Distance learning
To those students who are interested in commerce subject but do not have sufficient time to invest in regular college can get a degree from distance learning. Since distance learning course is getting popular these days, hence it can be a great help for students to get their degree.
Following are some of the colleges along with the subjects from where you can get your degree.
- Acharya Nagarjuna University (Computer Applications, Foreign Trade, and Marketing)
- Alagappa University (Computer Applications)
- Annamalai University (Accounting and Finance, Business Studies, Computer Applications, Finance and Investment, Marketing Management, and International Business)
- Indira Gandhi National Open University (Accountancy and Finance, Commerce, Corporate Affairs and Administration, and Financial and Cost Accounting)
- Karnataka State Open University (Financial Accounting, Managerial Economics, Modern Marketing, and Secretarial Practice)
- The University of Kerala, Institute of Distance Education (Computer Applications, Co-operation, and Taxation)
- Sikkim Manipal University (Commerce, Export-Import Management, Financial Planning, Information System, and Supply Chain Management)
Since the list of distance learning colleges is never going to end, hence I have provided you only a few of the best colleges from all over India.
Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com) One-year Graduation
Those students who have discontinued their studies due to some circumstance can complete their Bachelor of Commerce within a single year. The fast track system helps the students to continue their studies after discontinuing their studies after class 12. It is also applicable for those who have discontinued their Graduation. Credit Transfer Scheme allows such students to complete their graduation within a single year.
Any student with gap years or break in study can apply for BA Graduation in One Year. The admission is carried through by the process of Credit Transfer and Lateral Entry.
Those students who have been successful to pass in their Senior Secondary Examination from a recognized board are eligible for taking up the one-year degree course. While talking about the other criteria, the candidate must have discontinued their graduation in the first or the second year of their college.
Advantages of One Year Graduation
Those candidates who complete this one-year degree course are eligible for multiple private and public sector jobs. Apart from these, they can also complete their Masters from a renowned university. The great news is that even your post-graduation can be completed within a single year. Those students who have completed their one-year degree course are working in companies like Microsoft, Wipro, Dell, HCL, Videocon, and Wipro.
Career opportunities after Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com)
Once you get your B.Com degree, then you have a huge variety of fields which you can choose as a career option. Some of the career options after you complete your B.Com degree are listed below.
- Chartered Accountant (CA) or Company Secretary (CS)
- Government Employee
- Human Resources Development Management
- Legal Adviser
- Chief Accountant
- Certified Management Accountant
- Market Researcher
These were just some of a few popular career options from a huge variety of list. Apart from these, you also get multiple career options; the above list is just some of the most popular career options preferred by most of the students.
Top Universities for Bachelor of Commerce
Following is the list of top universities in India which offers B.Com degree.
- Shri Ram College of Commerce
- Lady Shri Ram College for Women
- Jain University
- Loyola College
- St. Xavier’s College
- Hindu College
- Christ University
- St. Joseph’s College of Commerce
- St. Andrew’s College of Arts Science and Commerce
- Mount Carmel College
- Goenka College of Commerce and Business Administration
- Gargi College
- St. Albert’s College
- Indian Institute of Management and Commerce
- Presidency College
B.Com is still considered one of the most popular and valuable degree. It opens a huge variety of career options for the student. Till date, we have witnessed multiple B.Com graduate working with high ranked firms.
If you have any queries, feel free to connect with us.